Per Florida Statute 295.07-Preference in appointment and retention:
What are the categories under which I can claim veterans' preference?
- The state and its political subdivisions shall give preference in appointment and retention in positions of employment to:
- Those disabled veterans:
- Who have served on active duty in any branch of the United States Armed Forces, have received an honorable discharge, and have established the present existence of a service-connected disability that is compensable under public laws administered by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs; or
- Who are receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension by reason of public laws administered by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs and the United States Department of Defense.
- The spouse of a person who has a total disability, permanent in nature, resulting from a service-connected disability and who, because of this disability, cannot qualify for employment, and the spouse of a person missing in action, captured in line of duty by a hostile force, or forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
- A wartime veteran as defined in s. 1.01(14), who has served at least 1 day during a wartime period. Active duty for training may not be allowed for eligibility under this paragraph.
- The unremarried widow or widower of a veteran who died of a service-connected disability.
- The mother, father, legal guardian, or unremarried widow or widower of a member of the United States Armed Forces who died in the line of duty under combat-related conditions, as verified by the United States Department of Defense.
- A veteran as defined in s. 1.01(14). Active duty for training may not be allowed for eligibility under this paragraph.
- A current member of any reserve component of the United States Armed Forces or the Florida National Guard.
- Those disabled veterans:
How to Claim
I meet one of the categories above, so how do I claim veterans' preference?
To claim veterans' preference, an applicant must:
- Be applying for a posted position and qualify for such position;
- Be honorably discharged (or claiming on behalf of an honorably discharged Veteran);
- Answer "Yes" to the following question on the application form: "Are you claiming Veterans' Preference?"; and
- Attach a DD-214 (or equivalent official documentation) with each application they submit claiming preference.
Note: Certain categories of preference may require additional documentation to be submitted by the claimant. Human Resources will contact the applicant should additional documentation beyond the DD-214 be required.
Note: Current reserve members and National Guard members must upload a letter with their online application from their Commanding Officer stating the dates of their military service to establish that they are currently active.
Additional resources regarding Veterans’ Preference:
Florida Department of Veterans’ Affairs